Developing Sustainable Tourism in Bosnia and Herzegovina
With the aim of positioning Bosnia and Herzegovina as a competitive destination on the global market, USAID’s Developing Sustainable Tourism in Bosnia and Herzegovina (Turizam) project is working on advancing human capital in the tourism sector, improving access to finance for tourism businesses, developing innovative tourist products, harmonizing policies and regulations and revolutionizing destination branding and promotion.
Through a broad-based approach to sustainable tourism development, USAID Turizam will contribute to economic growth and social harmony in Bosnia and Herzegovina.
● Establish an enabling environment with the harmonized policies and regulations needed for noticeable growth in the tourism sector
● Strengthen tourism quality, services, and branding
● Improve access to finance for tourism service providers and other small and medium-sized businesses in tourism-related sectors, such as agriculture
● Increase access to regional and global tourism and agriculture markets
● Accelerated tourism recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic
● Increased tourism receipts and bed nights
● Increased tourism competitiveness rank (from 105 to 85 on the World Economic Forum's Travel and Tourism Competitiveness Report)
● Improved destination brand rank (from 116 to 96 on the Bloom Consulting Country Brand Rank)
● Leveraging of more than 40 million Bosnian marks in private investment
● More than 3,000 new tourism-related jobs
● Expanded market access for local agricultural products
● More protected nature areas
USAID’s Developing Sustainable Tourism (Turizam) project facilitates broad-based, tourism-driven economic growth and promotes social harmony by capitalizing on BiH’s rich cultural heritage and natural beauty. The project, which began in August 2020, supports the BiH tourism sector’s recovery from the negative impacts of the pandemic by fostering collaboration among all levels of government, industry, and community stakeholders. This five-year $20 million project is implemented by Chemonics International.
● Location: all over Bosnia and Herzegovina, with offices in Sarajevo, Banja Luka, and Mostar
● Duration: 2020-2025
● Key counterparts: BiH Ministry of Foreign Trade and Economic Relations; Federation of BiH Ministry of Environment and Tourism; and Repubilka Srpska Ministry of Trade and Tourism
● Partner contact: email@example.com or +387 33 726 360
● USAID contact: Erol Mujanovic, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
Entry created by Admin WBC-RTI.info on August 17, 2023
Modified on August 17, 2023