EU for Green Agenda in Serbia (UNDP)
The Green Agenda for the Western Balkans is the growth strategy for the region that aims to tackle the challenges of climate change and green transition and assist the Western Balkan (WB) countries to align environmental regulations with the European acquis. The Green Agenda for the WB is based on the European Green Deal and the related Economic and Investment Plan for the WB.
With the financial support of the European Union and in partnership with the Ministry of the Environment, the project "EU for Green Agenda in Serbia" is implemented by UNDP in cooperation with the Embassy of Sweden, the European Investment Bank and the Government of Switzerland.
The EU donation amounts to 3,599,884 euros. In August 2022, the Government of Switzerland provided 4.9M US dollars as the additional financing support for the implementation of the Green Agenda in Serbia in the next 4 years.
An important area of the Green Agenda is that the transition to climate-neutrality must be socially just and inclusive in order to be a success. Therefore, the project activities are designed to ensure that the costs and benefits of the green transformation and decarbonization are evenly distributed across society.
The project will use the “Innovation Challenge” approach to engage different parts of society. This is a proven methodology to source innovative and cost-efficient ideas, technologies, and business models that will lead to improving social, economic and environmental conditions for all citizens in Serbia as foreseen by the Green Agenda.
To contribute to the efficient, inclusive and sustainable implementation of the Green Agenda in Serbia by:
- improving the strategic and legislative framework,
- co-financing implementation of innovative pilot projects and
- mobilizing additional financing for scale-up investments.
In this way, the project will contribute to the green transformation of economy and society in Serbia.
Contributing to the decarbonisation of the economy and achievement of the Paris Agreement goals, reducing environmental pollution (air, soil and water) and supporting the alignment of Serbia’s regulatory framework with the EU acquis in following 5 pillars of the Green Agenda:
- Climate action, decarbonization, energy efficiency and green industries,
- Circular economy for resource efficiency and industrial symbiosis,
- Depollution of the environment with strong focus on air quality,
- Protecting and investing in biodiversity and ecosystems,
- Sustainable food systems for sustainable rural livelihood.
Complete lists of all selected solutions from all four areas of the Green Agenda covered by previous public calls:
1. Innovations for Improving Air Quality
2. Innovative Solutions for Decarbonization of the Economy and Depollution of the Environment
3. Innovative Solutions - Forests and Green infrastructure for improving natural capital and resilience to climate change
Entry created by Admin WBC-RTI.info on November 4, 2022
Modified on November 4, 2022